Today, sibling 3 got baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It was a proud moment in our family history. If only I had known about it sooner. My dearest Mother, please remember to inform me about a baptism sooner that 15 minutes before it actually happens. " Get ready everyone!", my mom had said, " Oh, and Melodie, you're saying the closing prayer at Sibling 3's baptism."
Great. Thanks Mom!
Oh well, at least Sibling 3 fulfilled one of her dreams.
There were also some dreams crushed. I am turning 14 in 46 days (yes, I am keeping count), and I found out that with a special license, you can drive a moped on public streets. Being the silly person I am, I hinted that to my uncle and my dad. My dad said " fat chance. I'm already worried about the drivers on the road when you turn 16, nevermind 14!", and my uncle said " Is that how you wanna die, Melodie? By moped accident?"
Obviously, my family has put no trust in my driving ability. And my dad has no intention of getting me a car when I turn 16.
I'd save up for a moped, but i'm already saving up for a guitar. And Dad would probably hide the wheels so I couldn't drive it.
If i'm a "threat" to public safety on the road, wait 'till I find out how to get a pilot's license! Then i'll write a note in the sky. It would probably say " Dad, Uncle, you've driven me to the extremes of flying an airplane when you KNOW i'm acrophobic!"
That would take a looooong time, but it would totally be worth it! I'd like to see their faces! I love 'em both, but sheesh! At least I don't wanna drive a motorcycle! Maybe we should move to Europe, where driving a moped is acceptable!
I also want to thank all of the people that actually waste their time reading this blog, 'cause even I know that this blog is extremely boring and I write very infrequently. So gracias, merci, danke and grazie.
While I am writing in different languages I might as well say goodbye, addio, adios, au revoir and thanks again.
5 comments:
Oh, Miss Melodie...
Please trust your parents and relatives when it comes to the Moped... For a couple of reasons.
Mopeds are smaller than motorcycles... and there is a huge marketing movement right now "Start Seeing Motorcycles". They are pushing that because motorcycles are hard to see from the perspective of a driver... (and mopeds are even smaller and harder to see).
Secondly, as I grew up, I had one friend buy a moped at 14. He used it for one year, then got his drivers permit at 15, then his license at 16, and never touched it again.. (The moped that is..)
And one last observation... I wont share with you some of the not-so-nice stories about 911 calls made from the scenes of moped accidents...
I am sure it's not easy to hear, but you will be much better off putting the money away for something a bit more safe and reliable... (A car) - so when the time comes.
And a pilot's license? Very commendable goal!!
Don't be in such a rush to grow up. It's not all it's cracked up to be anyway!
If you are looking for another topic, tell us more about the LDS Baptism... I'd like to know more. We Catholics baptize our children as infants..
Wishing a wonderful Easter to you and your family!
David "Father of Five".
My dear Melody, the Father of Five is so very right. And when it comes time to for you to drive it won't be YOU'RE driving skills that worry me. It will be the driving skills of many Utahns, who are probably the worst drivers on the planet. Trust me on this one. Your dad and I are going to have to retrain you after you learn how to drive here.
Remember that little discussion about 10,000 hours we had recently? Don't worry. You'll get all those and more when you can drive. I promise. And I love you, which is why you're not getting a moped while I'm on this planet (unless you live in Europe).
Also, sorry about the short notice this morning. You looked great and you did a great job on the prayer, if it's any consolation.
Ahh... Yes... Thank you Eva.
The "other driver" factor...
After 24 years of driving, I am confident my driving skills.
It's the other folks out there (and if you or anyone knew how many drunks were out at any given moment, you'd get an ulcer) that scare me...
Hope your not feeling ganged up on...
thanks for the commments. I guess I should wait another couple of years before I consider driving. (But that pilot's license idea is now screaming in my ear. Sheesh. My brain probably wants to kill me. It's been known to try.)
Post a Comment