Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Wherein we name things and talk creatively

Who picks the names of groups of animals? Think about it. There's a gaggle of geese, a litter of kittens, a flock of doves. There's even a name for a group of blogs. It's always a community of blogs. Please don't take me wrong, I am NOT saying that blogs are equal to animals (though some suggest otherwise. Don't read those) I just find it interesting that the name for a group of something that is not in any way related to an animal species would make sense. I really would think it would be the other way around (because animals make way more sense than blogs). Yet, a community of blogs is rightly named. 
 Just like a normal community of people, a community of blogs has its personalities. There's the open, friendly blog who would just LOVE IT if you stopped by for milk and cookies. There's the blog that's always working on their lawn. There's the blog that likes to sit and talk to you for HOURS about somebody else's business. There's even the old, cranky blog that yells, "Hey, you stupid kids! Get off my property!" Is this because people are people even though they write on the internet? Is it because, deep down, we have the need to treat online text as household property? 

Our minds are weird. Just throwing that out there. 

How do we come up with the things we do? I recently saw a video of a group of people turning a few shots of a cat into a funny video mocking the depressing drama that is a French movie. It's really cool, but I have to wonder how they thought of that. Pheh. Some people are just born creative. Or are they? There's a good topic for a discussion if you are ever desperate at a cocktail party. Which you never will be because you're all SO creative, aren't you? (I think you do that just to bother me). 
Just in case you wanted to actually SEE said "really cool video," I've posted it here, on this blog. So press play. Now. 


***     In case you were wondering, This is part 2 of this particular video series. If you want to see part one, be my guest, but I find this one much more creative.

FIN

No comments: