Monday, September 27, 2010

Dear world: High schoolers are not made of money

Today in school, my class was called down to for an assembly about class rings. It seemed pretty innocent at first but then BAM!! The price hit me like a piano falling from the sky. The least expensive ring was over $80! Others included "Just four easy payments of $64.78". Does anyone really have the need for something so worthless yet so expensive? They tell us to be smart with money in this economy but send us off with a catalogue of completely useless junk and, oh yeah, it'll cost you over $100. How the world doth turn.
When you're a teenager, you don't really think about money and how you spend it until you don't have very much to spend. And if you don't have a job, like me, you really can't do anything about it. So you have to be smart because the world, it costs money to live in it. Of course, no one in this predicament will spend $200 on a teeny little ring you'll lose in 6 months, but prices start to look more expensive. $3 for a hamburger is painful and even clothing is hard to buy. Hmmm.. I wonder if this is how adults feel too. I just might be onto something. Study it out, Watson, and come back to me when you have the answer.
If there's anything that annoys me the most, it's when teachers start doing it too. You'd think they'd KNOW, being around kids all day and listening to their conversations. Not to mention that teachers don't get paid very well either, but suddenly one day they decide that your entire class is going to do something costing $20 per student, and they make it required! Let me tell you how many times this has happened to me today. Many. No, seriously. It happened many times just today. I am not a happy camper. Just to save money I'll have to make clothes out of socks and eat paper plates from the garbage. Ok, maybe not quite as bad, but I'm still really mad at the world. Anyway, I'll stop venting so the children reading this won't drop out before high school (which is bad. And illegal. So don't do it).
I'd better end this on a happy note. so here ya go: "Ding!"

3 comments:

The Father of Five said...

Musical Melody - you are learning the lessons of life. This is not necessarily a bad thing - for a person who wants for NOTHING has no appreciation for what they have, yet the person who has to work and save for what they want - tends to make much better choices, and in the end will appreciate all that they have and have been given. They have much better character development.

Trust me, you will be better prepared for "life" than a lot of people! I know that may not "help" you now, but please trust me...

Now, on a side note - I too agree that class rings can get out of hand. Yet, I wore mine from High School all until (and past) getting Married... When I stumble accross it now (in my wife's jewlery case along with hers) I have immediate and fond memories of my high school years... I know it sounds cliché and all, but the saying "these are the best years of your life" do have some merit. If you truly make the most out of your high school years, you will want to look back from time to time on those fond memories!

So maybe try not to "dismiss" the idea completely. What I mean is that those class ring sellers have you & your parents trapped (or so they think). They want you to believe that they are the only place you can get a class ring for your school - but (shhhh...) they are wrong..

Did you know that there are other sellers out there - other sellers with much more affordable (yet customizable) rings? I'll send your Mom an email - ask her about it!

Oh, and before I leave - let me share a story about MY class ring. I posted it on FOF a while ago... Here is a link.

CLASS RING... Enjoy!

Kathryn said...

Oh, how you make me laugh!

I feel your pain, though.

Musical Melodie said...

thanks for your comments, FOF. Perhaps there is a chance for me yet. Thanks for feeling my agony, Kathryn. you gotta wonder what they do with all that money they must get from the students. They sure don't give it to the teachers.